Sunday, October 7, 2012

Circular Flight





          The crooked vultures  are circling
Gliding on warm air currents above
Black shadowed silhouettes  in sunlight
Dark hues of an imagine soaring flesh and blood

On this day their interest lies in me
The bouquet of my fear fills the air
It’s natural they sense vulnerability
The call of the wild gets its prey

Only the strongest survive in nature
This truism passed down through the years
Has my aura of darkness drawn their attention?
This inherent weakness Achilles Heal

The turkey vultures now join in their formation
Instinctual thirst and hunger guides their circular flight
My survival instincts in darkness won’t hide me
That fragrance of broken heart’s stench in black and white

The aroma of a cold deep dirt hole in darkness
Mold and mildew’s disgusting bouquet
How could my decaying soul nourish?
A simple black sheep lost in darkness without its fold

If this tree falls in my forest
Will anybody hear from the top of this hill?
I’ll scratch and crawl on my hands and knees toward safety
Just withdraw behind my shield’s poison pill

Have I died and I just don’t know it?
As my ghost floats with the clouds in my mind
Flying shadows pace impatiently beside me now
My spirit glides a mysterious path as darkness surrounds
  
If this were a dream would I sense it?
This familiar place no longer comforting to me
The delicate scent of tears silences my essence
Rain down through black clouds circling a vale of tears...

Harlon Rivers

© 2012 Harlon Rivers


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fear not my weary warrior.. you may think you are alone but there are those that will watch the darkened sky.. ready to frighten off the carrion birds before they can bite too deep..

olla